Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 3: Peppers



Sauteed Peppers
  • Green and red peppers
  • Chiles from my garden
  • Butter
Nothing special here, just simplicity at its best. If you don't know how to sautee, this isn't the blog where you find out how.

Yesterday's post ended with the question "why". Why go through these 7 days? My answer to this is another question, "why not?". Why not do everything I can to improve my health. For myself, for my wife, for my girls. When it comes to my health, I believe I can't be selfish. I neither want to leave my wife and kids any sooner than I have to nor do I want to burden them hospital visits, unnecessary surgeries, putting me in a home or difficult decisions.

Knowing your family history is crucial, but your genes are not your destiny. Your genes only account for 25% of your health, the rest is up to your environment. So do you bathe your genes in bliss or do you bathe them in blizzards, beer and buffalo wings?

My family tree is gnarled with cancer on one side and cardiovascular issues on both (number 1 and number 2 on the leading causes of death in the US). The leading 4 actual causes of death are tobacco, physical laziness/poor diet, alcohol and microbial agents. All of which relate directly to lifestyle. So the solution became quite clear: eat clean, live clean. Or as my mentor puts it: eat right, sleep right, drink right, think right, move right, talk right, poop right.

No comments:

Post a Comment